Can Dogs Drink Coffee? Or Is It Toxic To Dogs?

If you’ve got a dog, then you already know that they get into everything. And if you’re eating or drinking something, then they have just got to have it.

Coffee is no exception.

Like most dog owners, you probably let your dog sample human food pretty regularly. But should your share your coffee with your pup?

No, dogs can’t have coffee because the caffeine in it is toxic to them.

Keep reading to learn more about what happens if your dog drinks coffee.

Is It Okay For Dogs To Drink Coffee?

You should never let your dogs drink coffee because it is not good for them. In fact, the caffeine in the coffee is harmful to doggos.

Veterinarians say that dogs are super sensitive to the caffeine in coffee, so you seriously need to make sure you don’t let your dog have any of your coffee.

That being said, one tiny dose of it won’t kill them. So, if you spill some coffee and your dog licks up a drop or two, then it’s nothing to be overly concerned about.

However, each little bit of caffeine can do a little bit of organ damage to a dog. So, overtime it is toxic, even in small doses.

Primarily, the caffeine in coffee causes heart and nervous system damage in dogs.

Can Coffee Kill A Dog? How Much Coffee Is Toxic To Dogs?

Yes, if a dog consumes too much coffee, then it can kill the canine. But how much is too much?

READ NOW  Beginner’s Guide To The Types & Varieties Of Coffee Beans

The good news is that if your dog licks up a drop or two of coffee, then it won’t kill them.

But too much coffee can certainly kill a dog. Research shows that it takes approximately 150 milligrams of caffeine per 2.2 pounds of body weight to overdose your dog on caffeine.

So, that’s how much coffee is toxic to the point of death for dog.

Keep in mind that caffeine levels vary by coffee, for example it takes less Turkish coffee than instant coffee.

What If My Dog Drank Coffee? Or Ate A Coffee Bean?

Despite your best efforts to keep your dog away from your coffee, that sneaky canine may have stolen a sip or licked up some of a spill.

So now what?

Unless your dog indulged in a heck of a lot of coffee, then there’s no real need to worry about death.

But if you notice any changes in your dog after consuming the coffee, then it’s a good idea to call your vet and get professional advice.

Symptoms from too much caffeine usually appear within two hours after the dog drinks the coffee.

Common symptoms include hyperactivity, rapid heartbeat, and gastric distress. In severe cases, your dog may become lethargic and weak, so definitely contact your vet if you notice this.

Keep in mind that if your dog eats a coffee bean that it will have a lot more caffeine in it that a drink or two of already made coffee.

So it’s much more serious if the dog has eaten a coffee bean due to the higher caffeine level.

READ NOW  Cortado vs Cortadito: What’s The Difference? (Are They The Same Drink?)

Final Thoughts

As you can see, dogs should never drink coffee. Not only is it not good for them, but in large amount the caffeine is toxic and can kill the dog.

But if your pup only had a taste or licked up a small spill, then it’s likely nothing to be concerned about. And you can just keep an eye on your canine for any out of the ordinary behavior.

If you’re concerned that your doggo has ingested some coffee, then you might want to call your vet or local animal hospital to get professional advice on what to do with your coffee drinking doggy.

photo credit: Flickr, CC 2.0

Spread the word!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.